[Spacewalk-list] RHEL 4 Clients?

John McNulty johnmcn1 at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 11 14:14:49 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Wojtak, Greg
<GregWojtak at quickenloans.com>wrote:

>  Is there any documentation anywhere to setup RHEL 4 servers as spacewalk
> clients to get their updates?  How is this handled when yum was introduced
> to RHEL in version 5?

I've not tried this personally but I think you can use yum from CentOS 4.
There are some instructions here:

      http://www.eth0.us/yum-rhel

I don't know if this will be able talk directly to RHN successfully, I
suspect not.   So having thought about this before, what I imagine might
work is if you use mrepo to generate a system id for RHEL 4, register this
with RHN (so you'd need an extra spare paid for subscription) and then use
mrepo with the RHEL 4 system id to pull the rpms from RHN and create a local
RHEL 4 yum repo mirror.  From there I think you should be able to rhn-push
this repo into a Spacewalk channel.

It's something I've thought about trying myself so we can centrally manage a
mix of RHEL 4 and 5 systems from Spacewalk here, but don't have time to do
at the moment.   If you get it working I'd be interested to know.

Cheers,

John