[Spacewalk-list] Reverting an upgrade

Cliff cperry at redhat.com
Mon Mar 30 20:05:41 UTC 2009

m.roth2006 at rcn.com wrote:
> For those of you who've responded today to my last problem with pushing updates, please read the followups from Friday, when I succeeded with everything.
>
> Anyway, here's a question: all our systems are running under VMware. I took a snapshot of the test clients, then I tested a full upgrade - 32 packages, as it happens.
>
> So, I then wanted to revert, so I restored the test system using the snapshot. Now I'm trying to get spacewalk to realize that what it's got in its d/b isn't correct. I ran the verify, and it failed, finding the upgrades undone. However, it still doesn't offer me those failed ones as an upgrade. Is there any way to get spacewalk to do so, or is it the case that once you upgrade, you can't go back without deleting the system and reregistering?

try 'rhn-profile-sync' to ensure package profile within Spacewalk DB for
system is in sync with client. Not sure if it helps.

> An example of why we might want to do this would be if there was an intrusion, and we restored from a template or pre-upgrade backup, and then wanted to do the upgrade.
>
>     mark

I know we have a few kinks within system snapshot/restore which we are
working on fixing still (bugs are aligned to the Satellite trackers). It
is possible you are hitting some of those issues.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/showdependencytree.cgi?id=sat530-snapshots

One alternative is usage off and creating System profiles and then doing
compare + sync processes.

Having said the two above, I will be honest in saying I am a bit lost,
there is not enough exact information here for me to follow and
replicate as if I was when trying to track down a bugzilla bug report,
so making assumptions :)

Cliff