[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk setup questions

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed May 27 20:54:13 UTC 2009

> 3. Push any packages or config files to clients. I can schedule them
> in Spacewalk, but they sit in a pending state until they fail. Remote
> commands do the same.
> 4. “OSA Status” is showing offline on the system page in Spacewalk
> 5. Since I cannot use DHCP/PXE for this in my environment, I would
> like to pass a hostname parameter to kickstart when booting from the
> cobbler buildiso. Is that possible?

Hi Craig,

I'm just answering the Cobbler-specific question here, but, #5 == Yes.
If you set "hostname" on the cobbler system object, this will be used in
the default kickstart templates. I'm not sure Satellite allows for
configuration of the parameter though (it should), but if not you can
easily do:

cobbler system list
cobbler system edit --name=foo --hostname=xyz

You have to do this before the system is installed though, and then you
use "cobbler buildiso" with the parameter to include each system name on
the ISO.

(This will get a lot better as we bring back the Cobbler "live" CD
(hopefully in the next major release) which acts as a full-on PXE
simulator... so you don't have to reburn the CD when you add new
systems, it can just look them up dynamically)

I'll let others field the other questions, but I hope that helps!