[Spacewalk-list] Errata

David Nutter davidn at bioss.sari.ac.uk
Sat May 30 18:55:50 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 05:26:51PM +0100, David Nutter wrote:
> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 03:00:03PM -0400, Frey, Evan wrote:
>
> > I am currently running Spacewalk 0.5 on RH Server 5 and wanted to know if it
> > was possible to sync errata from my RHN account.
>
> Hi,
>
> I can't help with syncing errata from rhn.redhat.com but I
> recently wrote a script (rhn-centos-errata.py) that scrapes the
> "centos-announce" mailing list (either archives or daily digest) and
> creates appropriate (if rather basic) errata using the Spacewalk
> API. These imported errata include a URL which links to the RHN errata
> pages allowing, you can get the full info if you want it.
>
> The script is heavily based on the handy rhn-tool script by Lars
> Jonsson, with some extra wrapper methods for the XMLRPC functions I
> needed.
>
> If you want it, let me know.

It's here:

http://www.bioss.ac.uk/staff/davidn/spacewalk-stuff/

Given the apparent level of interest I have taken a bit of time to
write some basic docs and make the script more configurable by file
and command line option, rather than by editing the code. Even with
this cleanup there will undoubtedly be loads of bugs and annoyances!

Implementing an equivalent tool for fedora should be a simple matter
of replacing the mail message handling code with an RSS feed reader
as someone suggested elsewhere in this thread.

Those of you familiar with rhn-tool will notice strong similarity
between RHNSession and the RHNServer class. I think that these support
classes should be moved into a python module also in contrib[1] then
future contrib tools can re-use them easily, rather than making a load
of monolithic tools all containing basically the same code. Any
thoughts on this?

Regards,

[1] I've actually already made this change to facilitate internal
reuse of this handy library code.

--
David Nutter  				Tel: +44 (0)131 650 4888
BioSS, JCMB, King's Buildings, Mayfield Rd, EH9 3JZ. Scotland, UK

Biomathematics and Statistics Scotland (BioSS) is formally part of The
Scottish Crop Research Institute (SCRI), a registered Scottish charity
No. SC006662