[Spacewalk-list] System Groups timesout

Mullis, Josh (CCI - Atlanta) josh.mullis at cox.com
Mon Nov 9 18:59:59 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-09 at 10:45 -0500, Justin Sherrill wrote:

> Andy Speagle wrote:
> > On Sat, 2009-11-07 at 08:48 -0600, Josh.Mullis at cox.com wrote:
> >> Good day all,
> >>
> >> So I've only got 8 systems registered in spacewalk at this time.
> >>
> >> I started loading up the errata via rhn-clone-errata.py from Andy.
> >>
> >> After all my errata is loaded, I click on "System Groups" and it
> >> times-out after a few minutes with a "Service Unavailable" message.
> >>
> >> So I search on redhat kbase for this and I find this here:
> >>
> >> http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-19873
> >>
> >> This for the most part fits my problem.
> >> However if you look at the packages, they are from spacewalk v0.5.
> >>
> >> I have spacewalk v0.6 so this issue should be fixed right?
> >>
> >> The issue seems to be that it is calculating the errata for all the
> >> groups and can't do it fast enough.
> >> If no other solution, would it be possible to disable the errata
> >> calculation for system groups?
> >
> > Hey Josh,
> >
> > At this point, I have all errata for RHEL 4 and 5, both 32- and 64-bit,
> > loaded into my Spacewalk and I don't have any problems with this on SPWK
> > v0.6  I really can't speak to status of the issue or that KBASE entry,
> > but I can confirm for you that my 0.6 implementation isn't bugged in
> > this manner.
> >
> > My SPWK server isn't all that robust either.  It's a simple ESX VM
> > running RHEL 5 64-bit.  However, with the amount of channel data
> > (packages and errata) and system data, I ran into the size limit of the
> > Oracle XE some time ago and migrated it to a production database
> > server...
> >
> > Could you be having some other sort of system or database issue that
> > would contribute to the speed of the query?

> Hey Josh,
>
> So this issue exists in spacewalk 0.5 and 0.6, and was discovered by a
> Satellite customer in Satellite 5.3.  We've fixed the issue in the
> master branch of git, but haven't backported it to 0.6 and rebuilt
> packages.
>
> We have backported it to an errata for Satellite 5.3 which is what that
> kbase article is describing.
>

> If you'd like to apply these fixes yourself, simply apply these two commits:
>
> 5713ce473236d273c2a4c1608ec3f7f144e9b4e8
> b0b4c2d7e0a0bf55c50d996a35f05d4f6703d0c3
>
> These fixes will be in 0.7 for sure, and if there is enough interest we
> might be able to backport it to 0.6.
>
> -Justin

Thanks Andy and Justin for the response.

Justin -

Want to make sure I'm doing the right thing here...

I downloaded the full file from the
5713ce473236d273c2a4c1608ec3f7f144e9b4e8 revision, then applied the diff
from b0b4c2d7e0a0bf55c50d996a35f05d4f6703d0c3.

Is there an easier way to do this?
My apologies for my lack of knowledge with git.

The file I'm replacing is
"/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/RHN/DB/DataSource/xml/SystemGroup_queries.xml"

Thanks
-Josh

Just curious, how long