[Spacewalk-list] massive transactions on dist import

Marcus Moeller mail at marcus-moeller.de
Mon Nov 16 08:33:37 UTC 2009

Dear Michael.

>> % >> we have noticed that a distribution import (e.g. full F11 64bit)
>> causes a huge oracle transaction log (about 50GB). The database itself has a
>> size of about 7GB atm.
>> %
>> % > I'm sorry I have no idea what transaction log are you talking about.
>> % > Could you be more specific?
>> %
>> % I was talking about the Oracle Transaction Log. During an mass import
>> % using spacewalk-repo-sync/satellite-sync, we got about 70 transactions
>> % per second, extremely bloating the transaction log.
>>
>> Well, I'm an Oracle DBA for a quite long time but I still don't know
>> what is Oracle Transaction Log. Nor google helps me. So, are you talking
>> about audit log? Or is it a file? Or a table inside database? Could you
>> send a specific command how do you found out it's  about 50GB?
>
> I was talking about the archive log.

> > % Hi,
> > %
> > % >> we have noticed that a distribution import (e.g. full F11 64bit) causes a huge oracle transaction log (about 50GB). The database itself has a size of about 7GB atm.
> > %
> > % > I'm sorry I have no idea what transaction log are you talking about.
> > % > Could you be more specific?
> > %
> > % I was talking about the Oracle Transaction Log. During an mass import
> > % using spacewalk-repo-sync/satellite-sync, we got about 70 transactions
> > % per second, extremely bloating the transaction log.
> >
> > Well, I'm an Oracle DBA for a quite long time but I still don't know
> > what is Oracle Transaction Log. Nor google helps me. So, are you talking
> > about audit log? Or is it a file? Or a table inside database? Could you
> > send a specific command how do you found out it's  about 50GB?
>
> I was talking about the archive log.

As the size of the archive.log results in the number of commits and
nearly every update is committed separately the file grows
continuously. During import we got about 800 MB archive.log within 3
minutes.

We have tried to set hibernate.jdbc.batch_size=20 in
/etc/rhn/default/rhn_hibernate.conf but settings seems to be
overwritten by the application.

Best Regards
Marcus