[Spacewalk-list] Kickstart and Proxy question

Jason Ball jason at ball.net
Thu Nov 19 01:53:08 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I run a worldwide network running a combination of RHEL, Centos and Core 11
systems and have provisioned a centralised spacewalk server.   I am now in
the process of configuring a number of proxy servers at various locations
and I want the proxies to be used for all access from kickstarts through to
package updates/installs.  I've been looking for information on running
kickstarts through a proxy and haven't found anything so any pointers would
be appreciated.

I am currently trialling the following to get the kickstarts to work:

* Replicated the installation media to the proxy (under /var/www/html/pub).
* Set the media url in the kickstart to the above media location.

* I have found the default kickstart set the 'yum' repositories for the
kickstart to my spacewalk server.   A %pre script has been added to change
this to the required proxy server:

     current setting: repo --name=rhel5-x64-rpmforge --baseurl=
http://spacewalk.server/ks/dist/child/rhel5-x64-rpmforge/rhel5-x86_64-updated

/usr/bin/sed -e 's/spacewalk.server/proxy.server/' < /tmp/ks.cfg >
/tmp/ks.cfg.lcbld01 /usr/bin/mv /tmp/ks.cfg.lcbld01 /tmp/ks.cfg

* Added a rule to the proxy squid.conf to forward requests for files
(/ks/...) to the spacewalk server as there didn't seem to be any rules to
cater for this.

Has anybody done this ?
What am I missing ?

--
The era of procrastination, of half measures of soothing and baffling
expedients, of delays, is coming to an end. In it's place we are entering a