[Spacewalk-list] question between spacewalk centos 4 and 5 clients

Michiel van Es michiele at info.nl
Fri Nov 20 13:59:18 UTC 2009

Hi,

As most of you know: I got some problems with my CentOS 4 clients.
If I look closely to the RegisteringClients page
(https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/RegisteringClients)
The I notice that no yum-rhn-plugin is installed on CentOS 4 clients
thus yum will never work with the spacewalk repo.

A CentOS 5 client:

[root at devdlg01 pluginconf.d]# rpm -qa | grep yum-rhn
yum-rhn-plugin-0.6.2-1.el5

A CentOS 4 client:
[root at stbcmw01 yum]# rpm -qa | grep yum-rhn
[root at stbcmw01 yum]#

A yum install of mutt

CentOS 4:
[root at stbcmw01 ~]# yum install mutt
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
spacewalk-client-tools    100% |=========================| 1.9 kB
00:00
Parsing package install arguments
No Match for argument: mutt
Nothing to do

CentOS5:
[root at devdlg01 ~]# yum install mutt
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, rhnplugin
Setting up Install Process
Package 5:mutt-1.4.2.2-3.0.2.el5.i386 already installed and latest version
Nothing to do

See the diffirence between the 2?
How is yum going to find the package if it is never using the
up2date/rhn stack?

That is a big problem for me for the last year, what is the appropiate
way to fix this?

Does anyone with CentOS 4 clients don't have these problems?

Kind Regards,

Michiel