[Spacewalk-list] how to register kickstarted systems into spacewalk

rob morrien rmorrien at xs4all.nl
Sun Nov 22 10:57:16 UTC 2009

hello to all,

at this moment i start playing with spacewalk more and more.

but i am missing one big tool or option:

adding the hostname to a system and also configuring the network interfaces
and adding the correct hostname to the spacewalk server.

i don't want to make a seperate kickstart file for every machine.

at this moment we have locally inplemented a network tool.
before we kickstart a machine  we do first one thing.
we use only sun or hp hardware  in our datacenter. both systems have an sp
and ilo.

we configure first the ip adress into the sp and ilo.
and connect the sp and ilo to the network.
also we cacble up all the other interfaces of the machine.

the nect step is we configure in our network tool all the interfaces
with ip adresses and routing information.

remember:  we make a math of the macadress and interfaces with ip adress

we are not allowed to use pxe  so we use the mac adress of the machine to
select the information from our network tool.

also the host name is in the network tool , at the end of the kickstart we
run the network script to collect all the info for the kickstart machine

the hostname , interfaces are all configured now.

the next step is to download the correct software to the machine.

we updated the the bootstrap script for this.

i think that spacewalk will be completed if this tool is added to the
defaults

if you need more info pls send me a mail.

my next step is to implement our current network tool into the spacewalk
environment.

regards rob

 I haven't had a great deal of luck with that other than editing the .ks