[Spacewalk-list] spacewalk-repo-sync and cron

Jonathan Scott lists at xistenz.org
Mon Nov 30 01:57:13 UTC 2009

Thomas Bendler wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 2:40 PM, <lists at xistenz.org
> <mailto:lists at xistenz.org>> wrote:
>
>     [...]
>     Thank you for your suggestion, unfortunately it doesn't seem to
>     work as last night's run resulted in identical errors.  The cron
>     is still unable to retrieve the metadata.
>     [...]
>

> if spacewalk-repo-sync isn't able to retrieve the metadata it is most
> likely that the URL is wrong. For CentOS the following is working:
>
> ### Architectures ###
> ARCH="x86_64 i386"
>
> ### Get packages for CentOS (i386 and x86_64) ###
> for archItem in ${ARCH}; do
>   spacewalk-repo-sync --channel centos-5-${archItem}         --type
> yum --label base \
>   --url http://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/centos/5.4/os/${archItem}
> <http://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/centos/5.4/os/$%7BarchItem%7D>
>   spacewalk-repo-sync --channel centos-5-${archItem}-updates --type
> yum --label updates \
>   --url
> http://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/centos/5.4/updates/${archItem}
> <http://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/centos/5.4/updates/$%7BarchItem%7D>
>   spacewalk-repo-sync --channel centos-5-${archItem}-extras  --type
> yum --label extras \
>   --url
> http://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/centos/5.4/extras/${archItem}
> <http://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/centos/5.4/extras/$%7BarchItem%7D>
> done
>
> Regards, Thomas
> --
> thomas bendler         (systemadministration/network/SAP)
> cimt consulting ag                       fon: +49 (163) 6081 302
> burchardstrasse 17                      fax: +49 (40) 5 33 02-22
> 20095 hamburg                                  http://www.cimt.de/
Hello Thomas,

The script which is called from cron has no issues retrieving the
metadata when executed manually.  It is only when the cron executes it
that it errors out.  The "cannot retrieve" error its self states to
"please verify its path and try again" as if it is having problems
reading from the /var/cache directory even though it is root's crontab
where the script is executed.  Which leads me to believe it has
something to do with a variable of some-sort but I cannot figure out
what that would be (and why).

Thank you for your time,
- Jonathan