[Spacewalk-list] RHN Errata in Spacewalk

Andy Speagle andy.speagle at wichita.edu
Wed Oct 14 12:07:13 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-14 at 03:30 -0500, RLehmann at timocom.com wrote:
> is there a way to push RHN Erratas into Spacewalk 0.6 on an RHEL 5
> Server?

The best way to do this is to use the API to replicate the errata from
RHN into your Spacewalk server.  I've proven the concept on my own
Spacewalk 0.6 server with a python script ... and a few caveats.

1) There doesn't seem to be a way to efficiently "merge" errata like you
would in a commercial Satellite with access to official RHN errata.

2) Publishing an entire erratum into all channels on your Spacewalk
server for which it is relevant can result in undesired behaviour.  For
instance, if you have an erratum that effects both RHEL4 and RHEL5
(assuming you are managing both flavours) the RPMs meant for RHEL5 are
pushed into the RHEL4 channel as well, since it's just checking version.

The best way I've found to avoid this is to split each erratum into
multiple errata, one for each RHEL version and arch, and append a
version-arch code to the end of the advisory name, such as,
RHSA-XXXX:YYYY:R5-64 (RHEL5 - x86_64).

3) Subsequent cloning of these errata for publishing into separate
"production" channels doesn't work as one would expect from the WebUI.
Cloning works fantastically, however, the publishing step strips the
RPMs from the cloned erratum and does not push the relevant RPMs into
the destination "production" channel.  I have filed a bug on this one.

The only way I've found to do this properly is via the API, where
"server.errata.clone()" does indeed push the packages to the destination
channel and retains them in the cloned errata.

4) There's no way via the v0.6 API to specify the "issue date" for an
erratum.  This date is merely the date in which you created the erratum.
This makes cloning errata into "production" a little more tricky, since
I can't rely on "issue date" in my Spacewalk server.  I have submitted a
bug/feature request for that one too.

----

I hope that helps.
--