[Spacewalk-list] force re-creation of channel repo data

Bushby, Bruce (London)(c) bbushby at maninvestments.com
Tue Oct 20 16:16:12 UTC 2009

Hi

Although not entirely a spacewalk question, I was hoping the list could
offer some pointers relating to the re-creation of channel repo data.

I had Satellite 5.2 running on RHEL4. I exported all the channels,
installed Satellite 5.2 on RHEL5.3 and imported all the
channels...everything works 100%, except for
some strange behaviour when running "yum install custom-noarch.rpm". My
rpm has various requires and in the past (sat 5.2/RHEL4) yum would
resolve both glibc-devel.i386 AND glibc-devel.x86_64, however since
installing Satellite 5.2 on RHEL5.3, it no longer resolves/install
glibc-devel.x86_64...it only resolves the 32bit.

My rpm has the following requires:
Requires(post): man-tuning >= 2.0
Requires   : pam >= 0.99.6.2-3.26.el5, binutils, compat-db,
control-center, gcc, gcc-c++, glibc, glibc-common, glibc-devel,
libstdc++, libstdc++-devel, make, ksh, xterm, xorg-x11-xauth, libaio,
libaio-devel, elfutils-libelf-devel, libXp, libXtst, man-release >= 1.0

## Require a file provided by glibc-devel 32 bit.
Requires: /usr/lib/libc.so
## Require a file provided by libXtst 32 bit.
Requires: /usr/lib/libXtst.so.6
## Require a file provided by libXp 32 bit.
Requires: /usr/lib/libXp.so.6

I've never experienced any problems running Satellite 5.2 on RHEL4. I've
done 100s of new server builds (RHEL5.3) and when they run "yum install
custom-noarchrpm", yum would install BOTH 32bit and 64bit versions of
glibc-devel. However since installing Satellite 5.2 onto RHEL5.3 (having
exported my channels from the old setup) the yum install process no
longer resolves/installs glibc-devel (64bit) choosing to only install
glibc-devel (32bit)

I've tried everything I can think of and have settled on the fact that
RHEL5.3 has newer libs/xml/sqlite and I should try and force the
Satellite to rebuild all the necessary repodata for my "Gold Build"
(cloned/frozen) channels.

Is it possible to force a rebuild of channel repo data?

Any help would be much appreciated!!!!

Bruce Bushby
Unix Engineering
Technology Group
Man Investments, 100 Lower Thames Street, London,EC3R 6DL
Desk: +44 (0) 207 144 3903
Mobile: +44 (0) 7887711769

 Please consider the environment before printing this email or its attachments.
The contents of this email are for the named addressees only.  It contains information which may be confidential and privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately, destroy this email and any attachments and do not otherwise disclose or use them. Email transmission is not a secure method of communication and Man Investments cannot accept responsibility for the completeness or accuracy of this email or any attachments. Whilst Man Investments makes every effort to keep its network free from viruses, it does not accept responsibility for any computer virus which might be transferred by way of this email or any attachments. This email does not constitute a request, offer, recommendation or solicitation of any kind to buy, subscribe, sell or redeem any investment instruments or to perform other such transactions of any kind. Man Investments reserves the right to monitor, record and retain all electronic communications through its network to ensure the integrity of its systems, for record keeping and regulatory purposes.
Visit us at: www.maninvestments.com
TG0908