[Spacewalk-list] Errata Cloning Script

Andy Speagle andy.speagle at wichita.edu
Tue Sep 1 18:35:18 UTC 2009

Hi Team,

I promised to post the script I adapted for cloning errata from RHN to
my Spacewalk server.  I'm sad to say that it's not a completed work at
this point, but does the basic things.  Some things that are missing
and/or are caveats:

1) Updating errata that affect another channel, should you add a channel
that might be affected by an existing errata.

2) I've been a little lazy and have hard-coded my own RHN credentials in
the script, rather than asking the user for the info, passing it as an
argument, or reading it from a file.  I'll get around to it later.

3) I would avoid errata publishing for the time-being.  The
functionality exists in the script, but it's not right.  If you pull
down an errata that's for both RHEL 4 & 5 (for instance).. you'll end up
with RHEL 5 packages in your RHEL 4 channels.  I need to work this out.

4) This is my first attempt at anything with Python.. so it's probably
quite horrible.  I will be updating this as I develop more, not sure if
the Spacewalk maintainers want to add something like this to their list
of user-contributed scripts... but I'd be happy to maintain it there, if
so.

I'm looking for feedback, suggestions... kicks.  Whatever. :)

Thanks,
--
Andy Speagle

"THE Student" - UCATS