[Spacewalk-list] kickstart hostname

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 10:00:59 UTC 2010

> yes i'm look for this possibilité, you know the command at kernel line?
>
> On 28 April 2010 09:58, Colin Coe <colin.coe at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Choose an interactive install?  You could also provide this on the installer
>> kernel command line.

An interactive installer limits the benefits of kickstarting however ^^

This is how I do my static IP install with a defined hostname from a
kickstart iso....

isolinux.cfg:

label <a_label>
 kernel vmlinuz
 append initrd=initrd.img netmask=<netmask> ksdevice=eth0
dns=<dnsserver> gateway=<gateway>
ks=http://<spacewalk_server_kickstart_url>

kickstart prescript to process line:

set -- `cat /proc/cmdline`
for I in $*;
 do
 case "$I" in
 *=*) eval $I
 ;;
 esac;
 done

echo "network --device eth0 --bootproto static \
       --ip=${ip} --netmask=${netmask} \
       --gateway=${gateway} \
       --hostname=${hostname}.<domain> \
       --onboot=yes --noipv6 \
       --nameserver=<dns_servers>" > /tmp/network

In the kickstart options do:

%include /tmp/network

>From the iso boot prompt I install with...

<a_label> ip=<ip_address> hostname=<short_hostname>

Replace your values for bits in <> of course....

This set of scripts and options lets me do a static IP install with a
given hostname for the label in my isolinux configuation...

James