[Spacewalk-list] Cannot retrieve repository metadata

Eric Lake ericlake at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 20:05:02 UTC 2010

I have a spacewalk 1.0 install running on a x86 CentOS 5.5 install. I
followed the instructions found at
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/PackageManagement/Spacewalk. I have
synced the repositories that I think that I am going to need and I
have one client CenOS 5.5 system pointing at the spacewalk server for
updates. When I do a yum update however I get the following:

Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for
repository: centos5-base-i386. Please verify its path and try again.

I thought that this could be coming from the proxy setting that I had
in /etc/yum.conf at first but even after that was removed I still see
the message. I found this thread that seems to be the same issue that
I am seeing however I did not see a fix / workaround listed
https://www.redhat.com/archives/spacewalk-list/2009-July/msg00041.html

In my case the answers to the questions in that thread are as follows:

Any errors in /var/log/httpd/error_log or /var/log/htttpd/ssl_error_log ?

   None that I can see

Is /var/cache/rhn/repodata/ readable by apache?

    Yes.
--
Thanks,

Eric Lake