[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk, RHN plguins...

Chris Donovan alienresidents at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 22:56:46 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 3:59 PM, James Hogarth <james.hogarth at gmail.com> wrote:
> I can see it as possible albeit perhaps potentially confusing if care not
> taken. Personally I'd love to be able to hold a package version or ignore an
> update available for a particular package (but still allow it to be
> installed by yum command)... but I know it will be a lot of work and I'd
> probably need to implement myself and submit code... *grumbles something
> about time, lack, dev and environment*

I've now submitted an RFE / Bug for spacewalk via bugzilla.

The way it currently works for us using the protectbase plugin is that
if we protect the Centos Base stuff, and EPEL (or some other repo) has
a newer package, it won't install the epel package even if the
spacewalk server says there is a package available.  We recently ran
into this when we saw lftp updated in the Centos Updates, and EPEL
released a newer version around the same time.  Spacewalk said a new
version was available of course, and when it ran the package upgrade
on the client, the client refused to install (protectbase) the version
specified by spacewalk which was the EPEL package since it had a
higher version.

We're actually going to implement a configuration channel script thing
to periodically (daily) check for updated packages, and then install
them on our non-prod boxes...  For now until this gets implemented.

Anyway, thanks for the many answers, and we're happy to wait.

Chris-