[Spacewalk-list] Child channel subscriptions of migrated KVM nodes

Ian Forde ianforde at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 22:07:18 UTC 2010

Hi all - strange question here...

Server: Spacewalk 1.1 (freshly upgraded, but I've also experienced this
on Spacewalk 1.0)

I had 2 sets of VMware Server boxes, called vmserver 1-4.  vmserver1/2
utilized the same NFS storage for nodes, and vmserver3/4 utilized a
separate NFS share, so that they could share nodes.  Last week I
migrated the whole shebang over to KVM.  (Twas a little painful, as each
VM had to be hand-tweaked after booting from iso, but whatever...)

Anyhoo - I ended up having to delete the guest registrations from
Spacewalk as they didn't show up as being fully virtualized.  (I checked
the archives and found that someone else ran into this and fixed it by
tweaking Oracle directly - I'm not one to reach into Oracle to do that
so...)

I reregistered the systems and resubscribed them to the appropriate
Software Channels, Configuration Channels, and Groups.  The problem is
that the Software Channel subscriptions show with the "red star", and a
note at the bottom stating: "NOTE: These channels are not part of the
Red Hat Enterprise Linux subscription for this guest's host, vmserver1.
Subscribing to them will consume additional software entitlements.
Applying a different virtual system entitlement to the host system will
affect which channels have this mark."

???

So I've set vmserver1 to use the Virtualization Platform - no change.
Just Virtualization?  No change.  What's going on here?

oh - and when I change the entitlement for vmserver1, it gives a message
about having done some other things under the hood with a
link-to-nowhere promising details...

	-I