[Spacewalk-list] Child channel subscriptions of migrated KVM nodes

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 08:45:04 UTC 2010

> On 25 Aug 2010 00:20, "Colin Coe" <colin.coe at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 6:07 AM, Ian Forde <ianforde at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all - strange question here...
>>>
>>> Server: Spacewalk 1.1 (freshly upgraded, but I've also experienced this
>>> on Spacewalk 1.0)
>>>
>>> I had 2 sets of VMware Server boxes, called vmserver 1-4.  vmserver1/2
>>> utilized the same NFS storage for nodes, and vmserver3/4 utilized a
>>> separate NFS share, so that they could share nodes.  Last week I
>>> migrated the whole shebang over to KVM.  (Twas a little painful, as each
>>> VM had to be hand-tweaked after booting from iso, but whatever...)
>>>
>>> Anyhoo - I ended up having to delete the guest registrations from
>>> Spacewalk as they didn't show up as being fully virtualized.  (I checked
>>> the archives and found that someone else ran into this and fixed it by
>>> tweaking Oracle directly - I'm not one to reach into Oracle to do that
>>> so...)
>>>
>>> I reregistered the systems and resubscribed them to the appropriate
>>> Software Channels, Configuration Channels, and Groups.  The problem is
>>> that the Software Channel subscriptions show with the "red star", and a
>>> note at the bottom stating: "NOTE: These channels are not part of the
>>> Red Hat Enterprise Linux subscription for this guest's host, vmserver1.
>>> Subscribing to them will consume additional software entitlements.
>>> Applying a different virtual system entitlement to the host system will
>>> affect which channels have this mark."
>>>
>>> ???
>>>
>>> So I've set vmserver1 to use the Virtualization Platform - no change.
>>> Just Virtualization?  No change.  What's going on here?
>>>
>>> oh - and when I change the entitlement for vmserver1, it gives a message
>>> about having done some other things under the hood with a
>>> link-to-nowhere promising details...
>>>
>>>        -I
>>
>> Are you saying you migrated from VMware to RHEL KVM, meaning
>> vmserver[1-4] are now RHEL5 running guests under KVM?
>>
>> If this is the case then setting 'virtualisation' or
>> 'virtualisation_platform' entitlements on vmserver[1-4] then running
>> rhn_check on vmserver[1-4] should go along way to fixing this. I've
>> found it best to wait at least 10-20 seconds between setting the virt
>> entitlements and running rhn_check. You will also need to re-register
>> all you guests.
>>
>> If vmserver[1-4] are still running VMware, then I would expect each of
>> the guests to consume a subscription, in line with RedHat policy.
>>
>> CC
>>
>> --
>> RHCE#805007969328369

Ah okay hard to read on a mobile ;)

I also have the same red star and warning...

What is the OS of the host servers and the guests? CentOS or RHEL or
something else?

I assume I get the warning from using CentOS and my custom channels
(including the fact that the CentOS channels are not 'redhat'
channels) are not part of a virtualisation entitlement that would
'gift' those channels to guests under RHEL hosts.

As I understand it when running RHEL virtualisation servers all guests
under that server get 'free' entitlements... making it very cost
efficient to run multiple RHEL servers that way...

I was the one who tweaked my DB - if you want the info I can post it
(it is simple data changes to one table) and it is pretty easy to
script with virsh/sqlplus/spacecmd all available....

james