[Spacewalk-list] rhn_check

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 17:59:42 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Kennedy, Ryan <rkennedy at paml.com> wrote:

> Basic question... with what frequency does a spacewalk client run the
> rhn_check command?  Or is it checking for updates/file-pushes/etc. via some
> other means?

rhnsd by default runs every four hours (240 minutes).  It performs this
function.

> Along those same lines... If you modify a centrally managed file on a
> client will Spacewalk ever re-push that file automatically to sync it with
> the centrally managed version?  Does it support any revision control on the
> client side?  What I am trying to understand is how Spacewalk keeps track of
> any local changes to a centrally managed file and how it handles those
> changes.  That way for instance, the local /etc/ntp.conf file can't be
> altered from the centrally managed version, etc.
>
> Spacewalk's configuration management isn't on par with something like
Puppet yet.  When you modify a centrally managed file you can do several
things.  You can Deploy it from Spacewalk and the client will pick it up
immediately (if osad is running and working), or it will pick it up when
rhnsd checks again.

I'm not sure what you mean by revision control, but I don't believe it backs
up the client-side copy of the file before overwriting.  I wish it did,
that'd be a very nice feature.

I'm not sure if there's a better way to do it from the server (there
probably is), but one way to check for changed local versions would be to
write a script that does 'rhncfg-client diff' to look for changes, and then
'rhncfg-client get' to redownload the config files if they were changed.
Note that you must have rhncfg-client installed.

Jeffrey.