[Spacewalk-list] Best Practices

Philip Mather phil at philipmather.me.uk
Tue Feb 9 20:40:48 UTC 2010

That occurred to me as well after I fluffed naming some CentOS channels the
first time around, my conclusion was a set of prepared scripts to
automatically build a number of commonly used channels, obvious choices
would be RHEL, CentOS, Fedora and spacewalk itself. Other candidates could
be http://rpmfusion.org/, VMWare.. any others?

It'd be nice if the scripts offered to do everything required like adding
crontab entries to update them and added errata scripts with some sort of
option system to select architectures, update schedule, download to local
system first or suck straight from remote etc. One problem might be causing
everyone to hit the same repositories at the same time, might need some
randomization.

Should this be a shell script or part of the HTTP GUI? If it's the first I
can program in Bash all day long, hell I can also program in Python but I
wouldn't exactly describe myself as a particularly big fan.
It'd give people somewhere to start and a common channel base. Shall I knock
together a page under something like
Features/CommonChannelConstructor/Proposal?

Message: 1