[Spacewalk-list] Endless osad issues

Stephen Benjamin skbenja at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 00:33:06 UTC 2010

I inherited a Satellite system with a couple of proxies, and have had
endless issues with osad.  I finally fixed it and it was working well for a
whole week.  The exact issue I was having was this:
https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/JabberAndOSAD.  Changed the idle
timeout to 600 and except for an increase in traffic, it works ok, but not
great (since at disconnect, the osads wait up to 120 seconds to reconnect,
so effectively giving my osads 80-90% uptime -- better than the previous of
near-zero).

Now I came in yesterday and osad on 300+ boxes were just dead - service osad
status showed pid file existed, but osad not running.  No idea why, no logs
were generated on any of those boxes or on the Satellite server.  Jabberd's
were fine.  Any ideas?

osad is really unreliable, and I'm not the only one.  Is there any priority
on replacing it with Func someday?

- Steve

--
Stephen Benjamin