[Spacewalk-list] Oracle Size Limit Reached

Michael Mraka michael.mraka at redhat.com
Wed Feb 17 13:45:00 UTC 2010

Flaherty, Patrick wrote:
% Hey All,
%  I've had about 60 machines in spacewalk for over a year. Recently I ran
% into some strange spacewalk problems (can't alter subscriptions, can't
% build repos etc), which I tracked down to be database related using the
% catapult log. I purged a bunch of channels and packages I didn't need,
% and the problems have seemed to go away. However when I look at the
% oracle webpage, I'm still within 10megs of the at the physical limit on
% disk. I ran compact database which didn't appear to do anything.
%
% Does anyone have any hits on purging data?
% If I were to dump the oracle database and reimport it, would it be any
% smaller?

Hi Patrick,

reimport might help but I wonder why compact database didn't done the
job.

The other thing which may help:
- check whether recycle bin is empty ('Home > Utilities > Recycle Bin'
  in Oracle's webUI)
- some repos e.g. Fedora Updates remove old packages while adding new one.
  So removing such channel and recreating from a scratch may release
  several (hundreds) packages from the database and keeping only latest
  updates

If nothing from the above help, you have to think about purchasing Oracle
database or Red Hat Network Satellite (with embedded database).

Michael Mráka
Satellite Engineering, Red Hat