[Spacewalk-list] Is It Possible to Update Hostname After System Registers to Spacewalk?

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 19:26:36 UTC 2010

On 19 February 2010 19:23, James Hogarth <james.hogarth at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 19 February 2010 18:14, Glennie, Jonathan - 0443 - MITLL
> <jrglenni at ll.mit.edu> wrote:
>> Hello All-
>>

>> I’ve been playing around with kickstarts in spacewalk 7 and have gotten
>> things to the point where I can completely configure a base system to my
>> requirements and boot that system into a graphical interface without my
>> interaction.  The last thing I would like to do is change the system name.
>> I can’t seem to find any way to update a system’s host name after it has
>> registered to spacewalk, is there such an option?  Ideally I’d like to
>> script this client side so I could execute a script on the machine one last
>> time before it is good to go.    Worst case scenario, would it be possible
>> to unregister the client, change its hostname, then re-register it with its
>> new hostname, all form the client side?
>>

> For clarity - as it can get confusing - are you talking about the
> hostname or the displayed named in the system list?
>
> James

If you mean hostname registered in spacewalk then just change it on
the client and do a rhn-profile-sync ..

If you mean the displayed name take a look at the XML-RPC API - there
are some great docs on it.

Specifically you want:

http://www.redhat.com/spacewalk/documentation/api/0.8/handlers/SystemHandler.html#setDetails

That will let you set the displayed name in the systems list.

James