[Spacewalk-list] Kickstarting issues - packages & config files.

Rob Becker robert_becker at stercomm.com
Mon Jan 18 17:13:33 UTC 2010

I have a few problems/questions when it comes to kickstarting systems.
Hopefully someone can give me a little insight towards what I'm missing.

I have created a base channel for RHEL5 and I have two child channels
under there that hold our company specific files as well as some of the
Spacewalk client RPMS.  My first question revolves around the activation
key.  Can I specify packages from the child channel to be installed when
a server is registered or does it have to be from the parent channel.
When I go to specifiy the package how do I name it?  I've tried the full
package name ending in .rpm as well as just the short package with out
the version and a few other modifications all with out success.  I'm
currently installing the packages using post-scripts and would rather
get away from that type of thing.

My second issue deals with configuration management.  Last week I had it
all working.  I was able to register a system through the kickstart and
have the required configuration files pushed to it, I changed something
and for the life of me I can't get it working again!  Currently I have a
post script that installs all the required rhncfg* packages.  It then
runs 'rhn-actions-control --enable-all' followed by rhn_check.  The
server never pulls down the config files, but it does register in the
correct configuration channel.  What do I have to do to pull the files
down?

Thanks a lot!

-Rob