[Spacewalk-list] Migrating from local XE instance to remote database

Michael Mraka michael.mraka at redhat.com
Wed Jul 21 07:59:46 UTC 2010

Mike Hanby wrote:
% We are successfully using the instant client on our SW server that uses an 11gR2 server.

That's a different story :). The Oracle server could be 10gR2 or 11gR2.

To clarify it: I was talking about exchanging instantclient on Spacewalk
server to a different Oracle client version which was not recomended.

% % As an aside, work is using satellite 5.3 with the embedded oracle
% % option.  Will the same edits work there if I can convince the satellie
% % admin to stuff the rhnsat DB onto one of our DBAs' clusters?
%
% Yes.
%
% % Let me ask one more question -- say I want to migrate from the
% % oracle-instant-client for 10.2.0.4 to a full-on oracle client; what do
% % I have to change to point it at those libraries?  I ask because I'll
%
% Well, don't do that. Spacewalk is compiled against instantclient and
% the change might broke it in many places. Moreover Spacewalk will not
% benefit from full client vs. instant client.
%
% % likely have to do that anyhow should I move from 10gR2 to 11gR2 at
% % some point...
%
% If you really like full client (10g or 11g) installed choose another
% directory and let it coexistence with instantclient.

Michael Mráka
Satellite Engineering, Red Hat