[Spacewalk-list] Kickstart snippets questions

David Rock david at graniteweb.com
Wed Jul 21 15:57:16 UTC 2010

Hello,

I'm trying to understand how the kickstart snippets are actually used
and have come across a few questions:

1. Where are snippets able to be used? It looks like only pre and post
scripts to me.

2. Related to #1: What determines where a snippet is ultimately placed
in the kickstart file?

3. Where are the built-in snippet variables defined, and what are they?

4. Is there a kickstart template file that gets used by
satellite/spacewalk when generating the kickstart file?  If yes, is that
editable?

5. From the KickstartSnippets page on the cobbler wiki, it looks like
there are a number of things that can managed within cobbler (e.g.,
advanced path-based snippets).  I am assuming the snippet management
from within the spacewalk web UI does not allow for management at this
level?

I've been digging around quite a bit on the cobbler website, the cheetah
website, and googling for related spacewalk/satellite information, but
have had a very hard time finding any useful examples of how snippets
are used and what their relationships are to the final kickstart file.
Ultimately, I want to have better control over what happens at what
point during the kickstart, which means I need better control over how
the file is created in the first place.

Any information is appreciated. :-)

--
David