[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk and Puppet integration

Erling Ringen Elvsrud erlingre at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 10:58:51 UTC 2010

Hello,

I have been experimenting a bit with a setup that integrates Spacewalk
0.8 and Puppet 0.25.x.
Basically node configuration in Puppet is fetched by the puppetmaster
from Spacewalk
with an external node lookup script. The configuration of a node is
determined by which activation key(s) the node was registered with,
and two custom info keys.
The result is that a server can be kickstarted by cobbler / pxe, and
with %pre and %post scripts + puppet be fully configured at the same
time.

My goal is to be able to quickly install new servers of a few well
defined profiles (e.g. web-test, base-test, web-prod, etc.) without
any interaction after the  %pre-script in kickstart (where the
hostname must be supplied).

With this approach I can use both the configuration management
strengths of Puppet and the provisioning functionality in Spacewalk
without any manual steps.

I have tried to describe my setup here: http://www.reisesakte.info/spacewalk/

I appreciate if you can take a look an comment my approach.

Thanks,

Erling Ringen Elvsrud