[Spacewalk-list] error with centos 5 clients

George listmail.gg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 23:59:55 UTC 2010

If you tried the update right after the packages became available in the
repos (lets say you ran a manual spacewalk-repo-sync before or something
like that) this is normal, in my experience it takes around 15 minutes
to actually update the repo metadata on the machine ... so spacewalk has
the new packages, but the clients don't have that information yet (even
though they already show it in the webinterface). I already discussed on
irc that an update package or install package action should trigger an
'yum clean all' before the action takes place, thus ensuring the repo
metadata on the client machine is getting updated before it actually
tries the install/update ...

Furthermore of note in the same category actually:
if you try an update of a package and the package is not available yet
as metadata the scheduled update will show succes in stead of failed,
because it sees it has the latest version and cosiders this a succes
even though it did not update anything and the version is not the one
reported in the webinterface yet. (some better checking should be
applied here)

I encountered most of these things because I maintain a custom repo on
spacewalk with 'homebuilt' packages which got pushed manually seconds
before I tried to install / update them ...

Perhaps this info is a bit outdated, I still run SW 0.7 right now but I
don't think this got fixed in 0.8

Regards,

George

Michiel van Es wrote:
> Strange thing is, if I schedule the machines one by one: the updates
> work ?!

>>> libXi-1.0.1-4.el5_4
>>> mysql-5.1.44-1.el5.remi
>>> mysql-libs-5.1.44-1.el5.remi
>>> openoffice.org-langpack-pt_PT-2.3.0-6.11.el5_4.4:1
>>> mysql-server-5.0.84-2.el5.centos
>>> mysql-devel-5.0.77-4.el5_4.2
>>> yum-3.2.22-20.el5.centos
>>> NetworkManager-0.7.0-9.el5_4:1
>>> sudo-1.6.9p17-6.el5_4
>>> xulrunner-1.9.0.18-1.el5_4
>>> php-cli-5.3.2-1.el5.remi
>>> php-mysql-5.3.2-1.el5.remi
>>> php-mbstring-5.3.2-1.el5.remi
>>> php-pdo-5.3.2-1.el5.remi
>>> coreutils-5.97-23.el5_4.2
>>> php-5.3.2-1.el5.remi
>>> openssh-server-4.3p2-36.el5_4.4
>>> NetworkManager-glib-0.7.0-9.el5_4:1
>>> php-ldap-5.3.2-1.el5.remi
>>> openoffice.org-langpack-tn_ZA-2.3.0-6.11.el5_4.4:1
>>> firefox-3.0.18-1.el5.centos
>>> openssh-clients-4.3p2-36.el5_4.4
>>> xulrunner-devel-unstable-1.9.0.18-1.el5_4
>>> openoffice.org-core-2.3.0-6.11.el5_4.4:1
>>> openssh-4.3p2-36.el5_4.4
>>> proftpd-1.3.2b-1.el5
>>> php-gd-5.3.2-1.el5.remi
>>> php-common-5.3.2-1.el5.remi