[Spacewalk-list] Moving child channels between parent channels

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Fri May 14 11:06:13 UTC 2010

> Possibly not but the way I accomplish this is to clone the unchanged
> child channels to a new child channel under the new base channel then
> delete the old one. Systems can then be migrated simply by changing
> their subscriptions. So for example when I do the upgrade I'll be
> cloning the child channel "bioss-x86_64-custom-5.4" under
> "centos-x86_64-base-5.4" to "bioss-x86_64-custom-5.5" under
> "centos-x86_64-base-5.5". No need to go into Oracle.
>
> Doing this through the UI involves quite a bit of clicking but it
> should be readily automatable through the API if you have loads of
> systems.
>
> Regarding DB usage, this doesn't seem to use up too much extra space,
> presumably because all a channel consists of is a list of package IDs.
>
> Regards.
>
> --
> David Nutter                            Tel: +44 (0)131 650 4888
> BioSS, JCMB, King's Buildings, Mayfield Rd, EH9 3JZ. Scotland, UK
>
> Biomathematics and Statistics Scotland (BioSS) is formally part of The
> Scottish Crop Research Institute (SCRI), a registered Scottish charity
> No. SC006662

change) by just moving them....

I can knock out something for the API perhaps and submit it but I was
hoping Jan or Mirov would have some insight on how easy this would be
or if it would bring a mountain of horribleness down on my head....

My base channel and update channel for centos of centos_5.4 and
centos_5.4_update I'm regretting now as I could have just emptied it
of packages and resync'd them to the new paths upstream.... but it
looks like changing a channel label would be worse than changing the
parent channel ID in the database so far as potential corruptions and
where they are used...

James