[Spacewalk-list] Assigning packages to a group

Mike Hanby mhanby at uab.edu
Fri May 21 22:06:25 UTC 2010

So far as multiple users editing configurations, not really other than using group permissions or ACL on the puppet manifests.

I keep all of my puppet configuration files in subversion so that we can back out any changes that don't work :-)

Regarding the group package assignment, here's what I do.

Create a class for the group, say el5_workstation, that defines the packages that you want, among other configurations specific to EL5 workstations:

cat /etc/puppet/manifests/classes/el5_workstation.pp

class el5_workstation {
  # These packages should always be the latest
  package {["openssh", "openssh-server", "openssh-clients"]:
     ensure   => latest,
  }

  # These packages should always be installed
  package {["inkscape","rhythmbox","cadaver","ImageMagick","emacs","pigin"]:
     ensure   => installed,
  }

  # Make sure sshd is running
  service { "sshd":
     enable => true,
     ensure => running
  }
}

Create one for each group. You can also do multiple releases in a single class using case statements.

Then, inside your node definition just include that class. Say for example my wks-01 node:

vi /etc/puppet/manifests/nodes.pp

node 'wks-01' {
   include baseclass # configs that all systems must have
   include spacewalk_client
   include el5_workstation
   include puppet_client
}

I agree, having this functionality inside of spacewalk would be great :-)