[Spacewalk-list] Kernel Panic (CentOS 5.5 Spacewalk 1.0 Oracle XE 10.2.0.1)

L A Hurst L.A.Hurst at lboro.ac.uk
Tue May 25 14:21:44 UTC 2010

On 25 May 2010, at 12:32, Jan Pazdziora wrote:
> Hello Laurence,

Thanks both James and Jan for your replies.
> have you got a photo of the panic screen uploaded something which we
> could examine for more details? The fact that oracle was scheduled on
> that CPU does not necessarily mean that the panic was caused by that
> process.
Alas no, I did not have the forethought to take a photo (and was kind of assuming it would have managed to be logged since it appeared to be a soft-panic).
> Was there something related to the OOM killer in the log?
Nothing at all in the log, since a syslog checkpoint until the initial boot messages from resetting the box.

> Is this a single core or multi core system?

Single core, multi-processor. It has 2 physical single-core 2.8GHz Xeon processors, although they are both hyper-threaded so there's 4 logical cores in total.
> Are you able to reproduce the situation?
No, I've not managed to reproduce this - if I'd managed to do so I'd have bug-reported it (to whichever software-vendor appeared to be the culprit) rather than asking on this mailing list ;)

Since I'm running Spacewalk and Oracle (and have SELinux enabled) on the same box there's quite a few things which could have caused it, assuming it is a software problem.

I think I'll just have to chalk it up to "one of those things" at the moment and investigate more throughly (and take photos of the console!) _if_ it happens again. I was more curious if anyone else had experienced unexplained kernel panics using Oracle XE and/or Spacewalk in this configuration. Without reproducing the panic and/or useful logs I can't even rule out a hardware fault (which, in my experience, is more often than not the cause of any kind of kernel panic).

Laurence