[Spacewalk-list] Kernel Panic (CentOS 5.5 Spacewalk 1.0 Oracle XE 10.2.0.1)

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Tue May 25 15:34:52 UTC 2010

Indeed given it is on physical hardware I was going to suggest memtest as
one diag stage. Most 'intermittent' kernel panics I've seen on a variety of
systems when they have shown up in general have been temp, bad memory, bad
disk or software with the last rarest of all and usually linked to a driver
rather than an app..

James

Sent from Android mobile

On May 25, 2010 3:25 PM, "L A Hurst" <L.A.Hurst at lboro.ac.uk> wrote:

On 25 May 2010, at 12:32, Jan Pazdziora wrote:
> Hello Laurence,

Thanks both James and Jan for your replies.

> have you got a photo of the panic screen uploaded something which we
> could examine for more deta...
Alas no, I did not have the forethought to take a photo (and was kind of
assuming it would have managed to be logged since it appeared to be a
soft-panic).

> Was there something related to the OOM killer in the log?
Nothing at all in the log, since a syslog checkpoint until the initial boot
messages from resetting the box.

> Is this a single core or multi core system?

Single core, multi-processor. It has 2 physical single-core 2.8GHz Xeon
processors, although they are both hyper-threaded so there's 4 logical cores
in total.

> Are you able to reproduce the situation?
No, I've not managed to reproduce this - if I'd managed to do so I'd have
bug-reported it (to whichever software-vendor appeared to be the culprit)
rather than asking on this mailing list ;)

Since I'm running Spacewalk and Oracle (and have SELinux enabled) on the
same box there's quite a few things which could have caused it, assuming it
is a software problem.

I think I'll just have to chalk it up to "one of those things" at the moment
and investigate more throughly (and take photos of the console!) _if_ it
happens again. I was more curious if anyone else had experienced unexplained
kernel panics using Oracle XE and/or Spacewalk in this configuration.
Without reproducing the panic and/or useful logs I can't even rule out a
hardware fault (which, in my experience, is more often than not the cause of
any kind of kernel panic).

Laurence