[Spacewalk-list] kickstarting from a USB stick/drive without the installer formatting the USB drive

Sabuj Pattanayek sabujp at gmail.com
Fri May 28 16:49:21 UTC 2010

Hi,

I usually do CD based kickstarts (which work fine) but recently tried
to switch to a USB stick/drive based kickstart. Everything was going
fine until the installer got to the step where it started formatting
the boot partition. The light on the USB stick started blinking and
then it formatted the USB stick (verified when I put it back into the
system where I used unetbootin to put the ISO onto the stick). Is
there something that can be done in the kickstart setup to get it to
not do this or do I just have to pull the USB stick out after it
starts formatting the main partition? Actually I'm not even sure if it
didn't fdisk the boot partition onto the USB stick and the main LVM
partition onto the system HDD near the very beginning of the kickstart
so I don't think pulling out the USB stick would have mattered. Anyone
have any suggestions? Here's my kickstart drive configuration:

####
partition /boot --fstype=ext3 --size=200
partition pv.01 --size=1000 --grow
partition swap --size=2000   --maxsize=2000
volgroup myvg pv.01
logvol / --vgname=myvg --name=rootvol --size=1000 --grow
####

Thanks,
Sabuj Pattanayek