[Spacewalk-list] API error for older clients after upgrades

Will Cladek william.cladek at nrl.navy.mil
Fri May 28 14:49:02 UTC 2010

I'm having an issue with a perl script which uses the Spacewalk API.  Specifically, the "system.listPackages" call gives me an XML error.

I previously was running Spacewalk 0.8 and had channels set up for CentOS 5.4, and the script worked fine for all subscribed clients.  I then upgraded to Spacewalk 1.0, added a new channel for CentOS 5.5, and changed the subcribed clients' channel to the new 5.5 channel using the web GUI.

I have the following API call in my perl script:

my $packages = $client->call('system.listPackages', $session, $system->{"id"});

Whenever I call this on a client whose channel I changed as previously described, I get the following error causing the script to crash:

xml declaration not at start of external entity at line 1, column 213, byte 213 at /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser.pm line 187

However, if I delete the client from the web GUI, and then re-register it to that same channel, that same API call no longer creates the error.

Any insight on what might be causing this error?  I'd prefer not to have to delete/re-register each system.

Thanks,

Will