[Spacewalk-list] deleting packages

David Nutter davidn at bioss.sari.ac.uk
Wed Nov 3 13:02:06 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 01:35:24PM +0100, Marcus Moeller wrote:

> The problem is that even one Fedora channel contains so many of
> packages (12'000+ ) that the limit seems to be exceed.

Yep. Even a base CentOS release causes problems sometimes.

> > 1) Oracle's UNDO tablespace is exhausted. Give it some more, this
>
> I guess 500GB UNDO tablespace should be enough :?

I should think!

> >   doesn't count to your 4Gb limit
> > 2) The delete process itself takes too long to run, and causes a
> >   timeout. This is the situation where deleting in small batches may
> >   help.
>
> Deleting packages in 25 steps might take a long time if you have about 60'000 :/

I hacked up a script which pulled the orphan package IDs out of the
database directly then deleted them one by one with the removePackage
API call. If you left it running overnight it did the
business. Unfortunately, I cannot find it, but it didn't take very
long to write so maybe you could explore this approach.

Through the web GUI I usually manage to delete about 250-500 at a
time. Sometimes this would lead to an internal server error but the
packages would actually get deleted. Still really slow though.

David Nutter  				Tel: +44 (0)131 650 4888
BioSS, JCMB, King's Buildings, Mayfield Rd, EH9 3JZ. Scotland, UK

Biomathematics and Statistics Scotland (BioSS) is formally part of The
Scottish Crop Research Institute (SCRI), a registered Scottish charity
No. SC006662