[Spacewalk-list] Monitoring through NAT

Brian Collins brianc at sedata.com
Mon Nov 8 15:55:10 UTC 2010

We have recently deployed Satellite and ran into a problem (which Red
Hat's excellent support is helping us with) that I wanted to share with
the Spacewalk community for a couple of reasons, namely:
(1) To see whether anyone else has a deployment scenario similar to
ours, and
(2) To request a feature/enhancement to make this problem easier to deal
with in the future.

In short, we have several Satellite clients who will be behind a NAT
firewall, while our Satellite server will be located in our data center,
publicly accessible from the internet, but separated from those clients
by their NAT devices.

(RHEL client) --- (NAT) --- Internet --- (our public network) ---
(Satellite server)

The only thing that we have problems with, as you might guess, is
monitoring those remote systems which are behind the NAT devices.  The
root of the problem lies in the fact that the client registers itself
with Satellite using its local IP, which is RFC 1918.  So, of course,
when Satellite tries to contact it, monitoring fails.  Thus far we've
determined that Satellite does not allow this IP to be configured.

As I said, we are working with Support, so I did not come here to
undermine them.  But I was curious whether anyone else has Satellite or
Spacewalk deployed in a similar fashion.

Thanks,
Brian Collins
SEDC