[Spacewalk-list] rhn-clone-errata.py ProtocolError:502 -Proxy Error

Speagle, Andy andy.speagle at wichita.edu
Mon Nov 15 15:02:15 UTC 2010

> On 11/10/10 1:13 PM, Jet Wilda wrote:
> > Same error when it tries to publish i.e. ProtocolError: 502 - Proxy
> > Error
>
> This error can result due to a timeout between the apache server and the
> tomcat server.  If a single api call is trying to do too much (i.e.
> perform some action on 1000s of servers) it will exceed this timeout.
> So you may need to re-structure the script to do an action on only ~50
> items at a time for example.
>
> In this script specifically I'm not sure which api call might be doing it,
> but maybe Andy would know?
>
> -Justin

To Justin's point, I had this exact problem when I was working on this initially.  The API function: "server.errata.create" takes a boolean parameter for publishing during errata creation.  I found that if I combined publishing with errata creation that I would get intermittent timeouts, it was just taking too long to complete the operation.  I decided at that point to handle the publishing in a separate call and that seemed to help.  I don't believe that I've run into this issue since then.

Also, I have most of the functions in this script automagically retrying 4 times (I believe)... before a fatal error occurs.  This should cover any random intermittent tomcat/apache communications problems.  I can't think of anything right off that I can do to make this even more forgiving.  Perhaps there is some tuning that can be done to increase the timeout between tomcat/apache.  Perhaps your underlying Spacewalk database is slow?

-Andy