[Spacewalk-list] Recommended hardware

Miroslav Suchý msuchy at redhat.com
Tue Oct 26 06:53:30 UTC 2010

On 10/25/2010 10:26 PM, Eric wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been testing Spacewalk with success.
> We are looking to have one Spacewalk Server with two Proxy servers.
>
> We have roughly about 500+ Solaris/RedHat servers we want to monitor and
> maintain.
>
> What are typical bottlenecks experienced with Spacewalk/Satellite server?
> Most of the (>70%) of the servers are located on our local network.
>
> I assume that it will be one of the following:
>    1. Oracle Database (RAC 11gR2)
>    2. Physical Memory
>    3. CPU
>    4  Disk I/O
>    5  Network I/O
>
> We are looking at using a server with a single Intel E5640 (Quad core w/ HT)
> 2.66 GHz with 6GB of RAM and two 10k RPM SAS drives in a RAID 1 configuration
> for the Spacewalk and the 2-3 other proxy servers.
>
> I plan to have 2-3 proxy servers horizontally tiered to a single Spacewalk
> server.

This is enough for you case. Usually bottleneck is memory. But 6 GB will
be enough for 500 systems.
Proxy is usually neeed if you have 5000 systems. In your case it is
probably overkill. Unless those systems are in distant location.
Only reason for having Proxies in you case can be monitoring. Monitoring
(especially probes requiring ssh) are resource consuming and you may use
Proxy to deploy monitoring scout to them.

--
Miroslav Suchy
Red Hat Satellite Engineering