[Spacewalk-list] [spacewalk 1.1] how to populate errata?

David Nutter davidn at bioss.sari.ac.uk
Thu Sep 23 13:57:33 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 03:43:57PM -0400, Jet Wilda wrote:
> I also found spw-clone-errata.py
> (https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/browser/scripts/clone-errata/spw-clo
> ne-errata.py) and rhn-clone-errata.py
> (https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/browser/scripts/clone-errata/rhn-clo
> ne-errata.py).

These scripts will copy errata from the Redhat Network if you have
sufficient valid Redhat Enterprise Linux subscriptions for your
machines. This is the preferred method for RHEL users.

>                 With spacewalk 1.1 what is the best way to populate the
> server with errata?  I'm looking at this
> http://www.bioss.ac.uk/staff/davidn/spacewalk-stuff/ page with the
> script centos-errata.py

If you are a CentOS user as I am then my centos-errata script will
create ersatz errata from postings to the centos-announce mailing list
and put them on your spacewalk server. Not perfect, but rather better
than no errata at all.

> and then I found the script apply_errata
> (https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/browser/utils/apply_errata) in the
> spacewalk-utils RPM.   Any and all help is very much appreciated.

These tools are for applying existing errata to your managed
systems. They will not help you create errata in the first place.

David Nutter  				Tel: +44 (0)131 650 4888
BioSS, JCMB, King's Buildings, Mayfield Rd, EH9 3JZ. Scotland, UK

Biomathematics and Statistics Scotland (BioSS) is formally part of The
Scottish Crop Research Institute (SCRI), a registered Scottish charity
No. SC006662