[Spacewalk-list] Strange mounting problems while kickstarting

Justin Sherrill jsherril at redhat.com
Mon Sep 27 16:30:45 UTC 2010

  On 9/24/10 12:43 PM, Sascha Bendix wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After spending another day of debugging I think I found the problem.
>
> There seems to be a bug in the kernel (2.6.18-194.el5) which was provided for pxe install on the CentOS 5.5 iso images. I could trigger it rproducilble via the following steps:
>
>    * boot it via pxe in rescue mode
>    * ensure you have a swap and a date (probably ext3) partition
>    * try to mount the swap partition ->  this fails
>    * try to mount the normal partition ->  system hangs ->  kernel panic
>
> Can anybody confirm/disprove this?
>
> @developers: Is there a way to change the kickstart pre script which tries to not mount a swap partition?
>
> Regards,
>
> Sascha Bendix

Sascha,

Can you try a solution real quick for me?

edit  /var/lib/rhn/kickstart/snippets/keep_system_id

and change:

     DISKS="$DISKS $(fdisk -l /dev/$disk | awk '/^\/dev/{print $1}')"
     DISKS="$DISKS $(fdisk -l /dev/$disk | grep -v "swap\|LVM\|Extended"
| awk '/^\/dev/{print $1}')"

that should ensure that it doesn't try to mount any of those types of
partitions (it seemed that even if it excluded swap but tried to mount
LVM, it would fail).

The above change seemed to work really well for me.

-Justin Sherrill