[Spacewalk-list] Database user data

Michael Mraka michael.mraka at redhat.com
Wed Apr 13 07:44:17 UTC 2011

dale at fedoraproject.org wrote:
% On Tue, 12 Apr 2011, Michael Mraka wrote:
% >William S. wrote:
% >%
% >% On average, do folks exceed the 4GB limitation with Oracle Xe? I'm trying to gauge on what sort of real data is stored in the DB, and how quickly I would run out of space.
% >
% >Some time ago I did estimates for Spacewalk 1.1 and came to formula
% >* 250 KiB per client system,
% >* 500 KiB per channel + 230 KiB per package in channel (i.e. 1.1GiB for channel
% >with 5000 packages).
% >
% >It might be slightly lower number nowadays because we optimized
% >changelog data storage which was quite hoggish :).
%
% I found the following in the Satellite 5.4 install docs:
%
% A single 6 GB tablespace is recommended as more than sufficient for
% most installations.
% * 192 KB per client system
% * 64 MB per channel
%
% For instance, an RHN Satellite containing 10 channels serving 10,000
% systems would require 1.92 GB for its clients and 640 MB for its
% channels.
%
% Database storage needs may grow rapidly, depending upon the variance
% of the following factors:
% * The number of public Red Hat packages imported (typical: 5000)
% * The number of private packages to be managed (typical: 500)
% * The number of systems to be managed (typical: 1000)
% * The number of packages installed on the average system (typical: 500)

Yes, these were old estimates which are no more accurate so I went ahead
and created new, more appropriate, one.

Michael Mráka
Satellite Engineering, Red Hat