[Spacewalk-list] DB question

Miroslav Suchý msuchy at redhat.com
Wed Apr 27 08:59:51 UTC 2011

On 04/26/2011 11:47 PM, Anthony Hare wrote:
> Oracle 11g (no 4gb limit right?)
You have to pay for not limited version.
11g Express Edition is limited to 11 GB of data and 1 GB of RAM.
Since you plan to have 12 channels (each aprox. 1.1 GiB) you will very
probably hit the data limit.
And using only one GB of RAM is not performance booster either.

> Postgresql  (Please note that the functionality of Spacewalk on PostgreSQL is limited and sooner than later you may hit Internal Server Error.)??

All frequently used pages/functions should work. But there are still
queries we did not migrate for sure. Can you live with Spacewalk where
some functions are limited? Are you willing to debug/report/fix errors
when you encounter one?

So it result to options:

a) you have time to fix problems - go with free postgresql

b) you do not want to be bothered with any problems - buy license from
Oracle. Or buy RHN Satellite which comes with Embedded Oracle license
already.

--
Miroslav Suchy
Red Hat Satellite Engineering