[Spacewalk-list] FW: Updating software channel to new minor version

Jeremy Davis jdavis4102 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 04:27:45 UTC 2011

I am not sure on the Scientific Linux issue but in regards to minor releases (5.5,5.6 etc.) I use the same base channels. I have a base channel setup with the contents of the OS repo from centos. Then under the base I have updates which is a mirror of the updates repo. Centos has a major release repository that contains the latest release (4, 5, 6). Then they have the minor release directory that contains the minor release (4.9, 5.6, 6.0). I use the latest release for my repo sync(4, 5, 6). This has worked for upgrading Centos 5.2 all the way up to 5.6 using the same channels and repository. I just sync the new packages when added. No other changes are made and this can all be automated. This is because when Centos releases a new minor version they update the major release directory with the packages for the latest release. Now major releases get a new base channel (just like centos creates the new release directory). I hope this helps. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Jeremy