[Spacewalk-list] RHNSD & RHEL 4 Problems

Jason M. Nielsen jnielsen at myriad.com
Mon Dec 5 15:08:17 UTC 2011

SW 1.5 on RHEL 5.7 with an Oracle 11g backend.

I run rhn_check via cron with the following:

* * * * * root if pgrep rhn_check; then /usr/bin/logger 'RHN_CHECK
already running!'; else /usr/sbin/rhn_check; fi &> /dev/null
5 0-23/4 * * * root RHNCC=`ps -e -o "\%t | \%a" | grep "/usr/bin/python
/usr/sbin/rhn_check" | grep -v grep | head -n 1` && if [ ! -z
${RHNCC:0:2} ]; then pkill -9 rhn_check; fi &> /dev/null

The second command checks to see if rhn_check has been running for a day
or more and kills it. This might be a temporary work around for your issue.

I have seen it hang occasionally on RHEL 4,5 and 6. I still have no idea
why as it seems random although Im guessing its due to a network
interruption while its processing as I see this primarily on our dmz.

RHEL4 though Ive not been seeing any abnormal behavior although before
upgrading up2date to the latest release I did have issues with package
profiles being synchronized properly. Unlikely to be related to the
issue you have seen.