[Spacewalk-list] Provisioning, activation key and child channels

Jonathan DeHaan jdehaan at nexstar.tv
Wed Feb 16 15:12:37 UTC 2011

In my experience, this is not the case. The activation key has no effect
on the kickstart process until the post script section where the client
is registered to Spacewalk. Only at that point does the client acquires
access to the child channels defined in the activation key. If you put
yum install commands into the post script, then you should be able to
reference packages in the child channels associated with the activation
key, because registration happens before your post script.

The hint on the 'Kickstart Details/Operating System' page is slightly
misleading. The child channels on the kickstart page are only available
during the kickstart process itself. They aren't available after install
has completed, even if you have no activation key and don't register the
client with Spacewalk.

Jonathan DeHaan
Linux Systems Engineer