[Spacewalk-list] Do you have a brief that shows why you want satellite over just using rhn?

Miroslav Suchý msuchy at redhat.com
Fri Jan 7 08:38:18 UTC 2011

On 01/07/2011 12:05 AM, Colin Coe wrote:
> - allows you to manage configuration files
RHN allows you to manage configuration files if you have provisioning
entitlements IIRC

> - allows you to build/rebuild nodes (maybe this can be done with RHN
> but would be way quicker if the content is local)
No, RHN could not provision systems.

> - allows you to do system monitoring (maybe this can be done with RHN)
No, RHN could not monitor systems.

I would add - Satellite can:
- have osad - all actions are instantly pushed to clients
- you can manage users and organizations on your own
- maintance window - you are able to download rpm and erratas to client
in advance prior the scheduled action, so install/upgrade is much faster
- you see timedate when rpm have been installed
- you can manage selinux context of config files

Additionally in Spacewalk you can:
- audit selinux

And I probably forgot some others features.

--
Miroslav Suchy
Red Hat Satellite Engineering