[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk Client Installation

Michael Mraka michael.mraka at redhat.com
Wed Jan 12 08:52:44 UTC 2011

Chris Stevens wrote:
% Got the spacewalk server up with the help from this mailing list.
% Thanks.  Now I have a new question about the client installation.
%
% I've got machines that don't, can't and won't have internet access.
% Is there an easy way to install the spacewalk client on these
% machines?
%
% I've got the spacewalk server up and sync'ing with centos, epel and
% spacewalk-client repositories.  Is there a way I can grab the files
% from the spacewalk server without first registering the client with
% the server?

Hi Chris,

there is nothing like public repo (i.e. accessible without previous
registration) in spacewalk.

% Or... do I have to keep doing a 'yum localinstall rhn-client-tools' to
% find out what dependencies I'm missing and grab them manually one at a
% time? What a pain in the neck.  I started doing this then figured it
% might be an exercise of futility on my part.  It might be easier to
% mirror the repositories locally so I don't have to play the dependency
% game... but that would defeat one of the reasons I wanted to use
% spacewalk in the first place.

As for initial client package installation you can mirror client repo
from http://spacewalk.redhat.com/yum/ under your spacewalk:/var/www/html/pub
which is publicly accessible via http://spacewalk/pub.
And then create /etc/yum.repos.d/spacewalk-client-pub.repo on client

[spacewalk-client-pub]
name=Spacewalk Client Tools
baseurl=http://spacewalk/pub/client/
gpgkey=http://spacewalk.redhat.com/yum/RPM-GPG-KEY-spacewalk-2010
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1

% So if anyone has any tips on an easy way to install the spacewalk
% client without an internet connection I'd sure like to hear them.
%
% Thanks

Michael Mráka
Satellite Engineering, Red Hat