[Spacewalk-list] rhn_check uses HTTP repos instead of spacewalk software channel

Sascha Frey sf at TechFak.NET
Wed Jul 6 07:26:11 UTC 2011

Hi list,

I experienced problems kickstarting some clients. All clients that
failed installing packages defined to activation keys are in the same
subnet with restricted internet access (need a HTTP proxy there).

After some network packet sniffing I discovered that these clients are
trying to establish a HTTP connection to ftp.scientificlinux.org.

All clients do that. Clients with internet access download the packages
from the HTTP yum repositories instead of using the Spacewalk server's
software channels.

Setting enabled=0 in all .repo files in /etc/yum.repos.d solves this
problem after the installation, but I didn't find a good solution for
the kickstart process.

The problem: rhn_check is called before the post scripts run.
The files to modify aren't in place when pre scripts run.

So my workaround is to write a pre installation script, which adds some
commands to /tmp/ks.cfg just before rhn_check. These commands modify the
.repo-files and disable these yum repos.

This is a dirty hack.
This can't be intended behaviour.

Is there anything I missed in kickstart profile configuration?

Thanks
Sascha