[Spacewalk-list] Updating software channel to new minor version

Sascha Frey sf at TechFak.NET
Tue Jul 12 10:08:30 UTC 2011

Our spacewalk server is now working quite well.

Before rollout I tested the update of our Scientific Linux 6 channel
from 6.0 to 6.1 (6.1 is called 6rolling, because it is not release yet).

New kickstarted clients work well, 6.0 clients can update, but after the
update to 6.1 you cannot install any packages.
This is what I get:

[root at client ~]# yum update
Loaded plugins: rhnplugin
There was an error communicating with RHN.
RHN Satellite or RHN Classic support will be disabled.

Error Message:
    Your account does not have access to any channels matching
(release='6.1', arch='x86_64-redhat-linux')
Error Class Code: 19
Error Class Info: Architecture and OS version combination is not
supported.
Explanation:
     An error has occurred while processing your request. If this
problem
     persists please enter a bug report at bugzilla.redhat.com.
     If you choose to submit the bug report, please be sure to include
     details of what you were trying to do when this error occurred and
     details on how to reproduce this problem.

Setting up Update Process
No Packages marked for Update
[root at client ~]# rpm -qa | grep release
sl-release-6.1-0.1.rolling.x86_64
sl-release-notes-6.1-0.1.rolling.noarch
[root at client ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
Scientific Linux release 6.1 (Carbon)

I don't want to create new channels for every new minor release every
six months and update the channel subscriptions of all the clients.

How may I tell all updated clients that the channel is now 6.1?

- Sascha