[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk activation error

Alexander Yegorov alex.yegorov at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 13:03:24 UTC 2011

Hi,

I am trying to run the spacewalk-setup script, however it exits with the
error:
spacewalk-setup --disconnected --answer-file=/tmp/ansfile
** Database: Setting up database connection for PostgreSQL backend.
** Database: Populating database.
The Database has schema.  Would you like to clear the database [Y]? N
** Database: The database already has schema.  Skipping database population.
* Setting up users and groups.
** GPG: Initializing GPG and importing key.
* Performing initial configuration.
* Activating Spacewalk.
** Verifying certificate locally.
** Activating Spacewalk.
There was a problem validating the satellite certificate: 1

I traced the issue to launching /usr/bin/rhn-satellite-activate script,
since /var/log/rhn/rhn-installation.log reveals:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/rhn-satellite-activate", line 42, in <module>
    sys.exit(abs(mod.main() or 0))
  File
"/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/spacewalk/satellite_tools/rhn_satellite_activate.py",
line 584, in main
    username=db_user, password=db_password, database=database)
  File
"/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/spacewalk/server/rhnSQL/__init__.py",
line 124, in initDB
    __init__DB(backend, host, port, username, password, database)
  File
"/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/spacewalk/server/rhnSQL/__init__.py",
line 55, in __init__DB
    __DB.connect()
  File
"/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/spacewalk/server/rhnSQL/driver_postgresql.py",
line 163, in connect
    return self.connect(reconnect=0)
  File
"/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/spacewalk/server/rhnSQL/driver_postgresql.py",
line 167, in connect
    [self.database, e.pgcode, e.pgerror, "Attempting Re-Connect to the
database failed",])
spacewalk.server.rhnSQL.sql_base.SQLConnectError: (None, None,
'spaceschema', 'Attempting Re-Connect to the database failed')

My first guess was the inability of this software to connect to
postgresql, which runs on localhost, however upon retesting the
connection several times, I skipped this guess.

Could you please help me pointing the reason out?

OS: SL 6.1
Spacewalk: 1.5.45